Thursday, September 17, 2009

Living the Green Life

An aging hippie chick, graphic designer and professional genealogist, I often also describe myself as a rabid environmentalist. I've been "green" for so long that it's hard for me to remember a time when I wasn't. If I had to pinpoint a turning point, I would have to say it was at the debut of the original Earth Day in April of 1970. If I recall correctly, here in Philly's Fairmount Park there was a large gathering with authors, speakers and literature to take home to study. After that event, another critical juncture for me was circa 1979 seeing Jacques Cousteau on a TV documentary in which he actually cried, stating that he had sailed on every navigable waterway in the world and there was not one which was not polluted either with trash or pesticides which he tested for. After seeing that, for me the die was cast and the rest is history. I began my natural living journey and haven't made a pit stop since.

I've begun this blog to share with everyone my 39 years of "living the green life", ranging from ways to clean your home without toxic chemicals to how to make your own natural toiletries, to natural health remedies and to recent articles I've been asked to write for a Sustainable Living column in our local neighborhood newspaper to make our zip code the greenest in the City of Philadelphia. For all these years, I have basically been environmentally active in my own little cosmos extending to the block I live on. Recently, my activities have expanded to my entire neighborhood and city. I can't express how happy I am that "green" has at long last become mainstream and I now have more avenues to become involved in a more formal way.

As an artist, I tend to be a pack rat. As a genealogist, I am a researcher. Combine those 2 traits and apply them to eco-friendly living and the end result is a vast collection of green information and web favorite places of outstanding merit. Stay tuned for lots of green tips, homemade household cleaner recipes, information and web links galore.

No comments:

Post a Comment